Call For More Details +1-866-535-7333 (USA)
Through encrypting we can make a file secure and it cannot be stolen or lost. It is a process of encoding a file with a password key so that only that person can open that file who has the same password. The Google drive encryption software encodes files and folders present in the Drive in such a way that only an authorized person can access that. The process to encrypt Google drive is very simple.
Process of Google drive Encryption and Decryption
- Source file is taken and its content is encrypted with the AES 256 algorithm.
- The new encrypted file will be uploaded to the Drive with the same title. A “.syscloud” extension will be attached to it.
- This new file is downloaded and decrypted to verify if the content5 has been decrypted properly or not? Is it free from any corruptions?
- The source file is then removed after verification and the new decrypted file is retained.
- The password for the encrypted file is also encrypted and stored in the encryption software database. This helps in recovering the file in case the user forgets or loses the password.
Google drive Encryption types
Google drive encryption can be classified based on either “Whether the data is at rest or moving” or “Whether default security or drive encryption is used for protection”. Broadly they are classified into:
- Google Drive Encryption at rest. There are two levels of security here-default behaviour and with drive Encryption software.
- Google Drive encryption in Transit. Here also there are two levels of security, both are same as above.
Need for Encrypt Google Drive
Though there are many reasons for encrypting Google drive, most common among them are:
- Data theft and leakage:
- Laws and regulations.
Advantages of encrypting Google Drive
There are many benefits of encrypting your Google drive. Let’s have a look at some of them:
- It stops Data leaks and theft. It is the best possible way to keep your sensitive Google Drive documents protected from data leak and theft.
- It helps in meeting the regulatory requirements. It is mandatory to keep your drive encrypted for compliance with laws and regulations which includes HIPAA, SOX, and PCI.
- It allows an organization to reset assured that their important and sensitive data is safe.
Benefits for individual users to Encrypt Google Drive
Individual users also have numerous benefits in Encrypting Google drive, some of which are:
- If the device is stolen, user could put the Google apps data including your photos at risk.
- If you misspell a word while logging in, the result is sending the email to an unknown person unintentionally.
- Using public computer also puts your account at risk.
- Hacking and phishing is another reason which is very common now a days.
So, now you know many things about Encrypting Google drive, go ahead and secure your data.